Saturday, July 20, 2013

Present simple vs. Present Progressive/Continuous (13.10)

Examples for Element 10 on p. 13

Dad: Are you still reading the newspaper? I want to see it.

Tom: Sorry. I'm finished now. Here you are.

Dad: Thank you. Is Sachiko studying now? I thought you two were working on your project together.

Tom: No. She works on Saturdays. She does not work on Sundays, so we are planning to study tomorrow after Church.

Dad: Tomorrow? On Sunday? You are both working too hard. You need a break. Do you need any help?

Tom: Do we have any cocoa in the house? She likes coffee.

Dad: Hmm. And, since we don't drink coffee, you'd like to have some cocoa for her to drink instead. Mother, do we have any cocoa in the house?

Mom: I'm afraid we don't have any. We drank it all last winter. But I can make some cold cinnamon apple juice, instead. I think she'll like that.

Tom: Thanks Mom. I think so, too.

Dad: Where is she staying at the moment, anyway? I understand she was living with her uncle, but that there was some trouble.

Tom: Well, there was not really any trouble. Her uncle suddenly got transferred, and they don't live there any more. But she is still living at the house, watching it for them until they sell it.

Mom: Wow! That's a lot of responsibility.

Dad: Mother, can you look at this article in the business section? I can't understand it.

Mom: Let me see it. Oh, dear. I'm not understanding it very well, either. Tom, did you see this?

Tom: Oh, that. The reporter does not understand the subject. She made a total mess of the story. I'll check the internet for you, Dad.

Dad: So, Tom, you look happy. Are you thinking about someone?

Mom: Dad!

Dad: Sorry. I guess that's not a question I should ask.

Mom: Oh, look at the time! I want to go shopping for clothes today, but I don't want to be too late coming home. I hate driving in the dark. Are you ready to go, Dad?

Dad: Yes, I'm ready to go. Let me get my shoes.

Mom: Do you want to come, too, Tom?

Tom: I'm staying here until I finish this homework assignment. I want to be able to focus on the project tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember that others can read your comments.