Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Outline of 5th lesson (27 July 2013)

Hello to our friends in Australia! (But you won't have time to read this yet.)

Started with correcting p. 30, element 9.

Then we moved on to checking everyone's compositions about our homes.
their hous
Next, we looked at the pictures of houses on p. 36 and discussed the following questions:
Where do you think this house is?
A typical answer might be
I think it's in Europe.
And,
Which house do you think this room is in?
Picture A would appear to match the discription of property 1, and B appears to be property 2.
見た目で、写真A は持ち家1、写真B は持ち家2にあたるようです。

I'm not positive which room belongs where, but the style and the talk about plants and sunlight would appear to put the room in picture 2 in the house of property 1. And the library style of picture 1 looks British, which would match the house of property 2
確実でもありませんが、写真2のスタイルや植木などや日当たりは持ち家1のように思っています。そして、写真1の図書室はイギリス風に思いますので持ち家2に相当するでしょう。

Please read the descriptions (advertisements, really) on page 36 for homework and see what you think.
宿題として、36頁の広告らしい説明を読んで、自分の意見を考えてください。


Then I asked you this question:

What kind of house do you want to live in, in the future?



And I asked you to write about your dream house. I asked you to present your descriptions in class, but we did not take time to correct them.

夢の家について書いていただきました。その文章を発表してもらいましたが、訂正はしませんでした。

I gave you the following examples:

I want to live in a real house, not an apartment – a single dwelling house.

I want a house with a garden where we can keep the turtle.

The house I want to live in is a small house.

I want to live in the top apartment of a condominium.
I want a three-car garage.
The house should have a swimming pool.

I don't want a house that is hard to live in.

I want a music room in my house.
[See "sound studio" and "sound-proofed room".]

I want a house with monkeys.
The monkeys should do all my work for me.


After that, I didn't explain house swapping well enough, but we listened to the DVD, audio track 1.20, and worked on (4a) and (4b):

(4a)
  • D: 1, 4, 5
  • A: 2, 3, 6
(4b)
  1. we're spending
  2. going to do
  3. I'll give
  4. We're going to see
  5. going to try
  6. won't go
The audioscripts are on p. 88.

I asked you to work on elements 9 and 10, p. 38 for homework. This is the experiences of the house swap.
宿題として、39頁の要素9と10を頼みました。これは家の交換旅行経験話です。

Listen to tracks 1.21 and 1.22 on the DVD. The audioscripts are on pp. 88-89, but please listen first. Then you can answer the questions.
DVDのトラック 1.21及び1.22を聞いてください。文章は88〜89頁に読めますが、読む前に聞いてください。それから、問題に答えてください。

After I assigned the homework, I explained a bit about future forms in English. We don't really have a future. This is like Japanese. We use present tense forms, and use context to indicate the future.

Certain helping verbs and verb phrases are indicative of the future --

will:意思・進み出てやる決意(過去形 would)
shall: お決まり(過去形 should)
must: 命(原型は許可の may, 過去形 might)
can: 能力(過去形 could)
be going to: 向かって進む様子、予定

Then talked about where we might want to go to live or study abroad, and did some composition and conversation practice exercises with that.

See you next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember that others can read your comments.